As of January 1, 2019
Richmond and Surrounding areas have a need for:
- Red hats for babies. We need at least 1,500 red baby hats for distribution through our local hospitals in recognition of Little Hats, Big Heartstm to help raise awareness about congenital heart issues. Although it may seem a bit redundant, baby hat patterns can be found HERE, should you wish to take part in this endeavor, although you can use any baby hat pattern you personally like. There are many available on our website and on Ravelry. Don’t forget that all baby hats need to fit over a 5” Styrofoam ball and these are available at the workshop for you to check the size of your hats when you turn them in.
Fredericksburg/King George has a need for:
- Lap blankets, Lap blankets, Lap blankets (at least 32” X 36”). Any size blanket is always welcome though
- Baby items
Please note that we give you our current needs, not to say that you need to focus on these items, but because these are our most pressing items. We prefer you work on something that you enjoy doing and, as you know, we can find an outlet for anything you wish to donate. We give you the current needs in the event what you enjoy most is making something to meet the current need. We are grateful for anything you make for From the Heart.
Don’t forget that all baby hats need to fit over a 5” Styrofoam ball and these are available at the workshop for you to check the size of your hats when you are turning them in.
Project Sizes, Supplies and Ongoing Projects
As always anything you want to make we can really use to help fill the bins in the shop and warm the hearts and bodies of those in need.
- Chemo Hats for Guys and Boys
- Socks for the Homeless – prefer white, non – Wool socks. Tube socks work well (no heels to deal with!)
- Chemo Blankets/Shawls 30″ x 48″
- Blankets for Hospice/Palliative Care 27″ x 36″ (No fringe, no tie on’s if wheelchair blankets)
- Baby Blankets
- 32″ to 40″ square
- Rectangles from 32″ X 30″ and up
- Children’s blankets (for clutching or draggin’) 24″ sq up to 36″ or 40″ & not necessarily square
- Bone Marrow Transplant Unit blankets Large and COLORFUL! (Just enough to cover the top of twin bed)
- Dialysis blankets: 60″ to 72″ long. 30-32″ wide.
- Home Again (Battered Women and Children’s Shelter) large enough to wrap a small child in cold, drafty house
- Chemo Hats Small, medium and large sizes for both adults and children
- SPCA rounds or squares 15-18 inches up to 3 feet to fit crates using leftovers of mixed yarn, wool, blends, cotton or acrylics
- Squares 12 inches to be stitched together into blankets
- Infant Hats Preemies- not too small, should fit a large orange. Must be stretchy. Full term newborn to over a 5″ Styrofoam ball.
- Layette Sets Used as “take me home” outfits for newborns.
- Bears and Toys New bears from Dollar stores, dressed with knitted or crocheted outfits. Given to sick, scared or needy children in ER, clinic, oncology, hospice and other areas.