Current Needs – April 2020
We are asking that you store any items you make, in your own home, until all the chaos around COVID-19 has settled down. Once From the Heart is back to normal operating procedures, you may bring anything you have collected to your normal FtH distribution point. We are working on the assumption that, once all is normal again, there will be a much larger than normal need for items among our clients. Therefore, although we are listing those items we recognize as current needs, anything and everything you create during this time will find a good home at a later point.
Richmond and Surrounding areas:
- Create whatever you like as there will be a need for everything
Fredericksburg/King George has a need for:
- Baby items
- Blankets of all sizes
- Fiddle aprons, mats and squares
- Walker & wheelchair totes
There are baby blanket patterns HERE if you decide that is what you would like to make. The size can be easily varied by making and checking a swatch first and then calculating number of stitches/chains required for the width you want. Then, simply work until the blanket is your desired length. For example, if your swatch shows that you knit 4 stitches/rows to 1” and you want a blanket 30” wide, cast on 120 stitches and knit until it is as long as you want it to be. You will need to consider any pattern repeats, whether stitches or rows.
Don’t forget to check out our patterns tab for many additional patterns.
Project Sizes, Supplies and Ongoing Projects
As always anything you want to make we can really use to help fill the bins in the shop and warm the hearts and bodies of those in need.
- Chemo Hats for Guys and Boys
- Socks for the Homeless – prefer white, non – Wool socks. Tube socks work well (no heels to deal with!)
- Chemo Blankets/Shawls 30″ x 48″
- Blankets for Hospice/Palliative Care 27″ x 36″ (No fringe, no tie on’s if wheelchair blankets)
- Baby Blankets
- 32″ to 40″ square
- Rectangles from 32″ X 30″ and up
- Children’s blankets (for clutching or draggin’) 24″ sq up to 36″ or 40″ & not necessarily square
- Bone Marrow Transplant Unit blankets Large and COLORFUL! (Just enough to cover the top of twin bed)
- Dialysis blankets: 60″ long. 30-32″ wide.
- Home Again (Battered Women and Children’s Shelter) large enough to wrap a small child in cold, drafty house
- Chemo Hats Small, medium and large sizes for both adults and children
- SPCA rounds or squares 15-18 inches up to 3 feet to fit crates using leftovers of mixed yarn, wool, blends, cotton or acrylics
- Squares 12 inches to be stitched together into blankets
- Infant Hats, Must be stretchy. Full term newborn needs to fit over a 5″ Styrofoam ball.
- Layette Sets Used as “take me home” outfits for newborns.
- Bears and Toys: New bears from Dollar stores, dressed with knitted or crocheted outfits. Given to sick, scared or needy children in ER, clinic, oncology, hospice and other areas.