Current Needs – September 2021
If at all possible, please tag items before bringing them to workshop. Please tie your tags in a BOW, not a knot, as the bow is easier for our recipients to undo. Tags can be picked up any time the workshop is open and a template to print them, on white card stock, can be found on the Members page of our website at:
If you deliver any items yourself in the Richmond area, please let Lois Moore know at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804)305-497. Fredericksburg/King George area please contact Pam (540)661-7967.
Richmond and Surrounding areas have a need for:
- Hats: for children aged 6-16, for men, soft chemo hats, teal hats for uterine cancer, 2X2 rib, knit hats for newborns at St. Mary’s Hospital
- Soft squishable toys, no hard parts,
- Izzy (Comfort) dolls and bears
- Clothes for 8” bears (bears at the workshop)
- Baby blankets
Fredericksburg/King George has a need for:
- Hats, hats and more hats. All sizes from preschool through adult. Children have returned to school and the requests are coming in.
Please be aware that these are our current, most pressing needs but that. as we always say, make what you enjoy making and we will find a home for it. Check our website for patterns https://fromtheheartstitchers.org/patterns/.
Click HERE for a pattern for a knitted 2X2 ribbed baby hat
Click HERE for a pattern for a crocheted “Delaney” hat in many sizes
Project Sizes, Supplies and Ongoing Projects
As always anything you want to make we can really use to help fill the bins in the shop and warm the hearts and bodies of those in need. Therefore, in addition to what is listed on our General Project Sizes list, we can also use anything from the list below.
- Chemo Hats for Guys and Boys
- Socks for the Homeless – prefer white, non – Wool socks. Tube socks work well (no heels to deal with!)
- Chemo Blankets/Shawls 30″ x 48″
- Blankets for Hospice/Palliative Care 27″ x 36″ (No fringe, no tie on’s if wheelchair blankets)
- Lap/Wheelchair blankets Approx. 42″ X 36″
- Baby Blankets
- 32″ to 40″ square
- Rectangles from 32″ X 30″ and up
- Children’s blankets (for clutching or draggin’) 24″ sq up to 36″ or 40″ & not necessarily square
- Bone Marrow Transplant Unit blankets Large and COLORFUL! (Just enough to cover the top of twin bed)
- Dialysis blankets: 60″ long. 30-32″ wide.
- Home Again (Battered Women and Children’s Shelter) large enough to wrap a small child in cold, drafty house
- Chemo Hats Small, medium and large sizes for both adults and children
- SPCA rounds or squares 15-18 inches up to 3 feet to fit crates using leftovers of mixed yarn, wool, blends, cotton or acrylics
- Squares 12 inches to be stitched together into blankets
- Infant Hats, Must be stretchy. Full term newborn needs to fit over a 5″ Styrofoam ball.
- Layette Sets Used as “take me home” outfits for newborns.
- Bears and Toys: New bears from Dollar stores, dressed with knitted or crocheted outfits. Given to sick, scared or needy children in ER, clinic, oncology, hospice and other areas.
- Items for use in Memory Care Units. Go to our Pattern Page and then click on either Knitted or Crocheted Patterns and, then, “Comfort Items” under the Knitted or Crocheted Patterns list.