Current Needs – June 2021
If at all possible, please tag items before bringing them to workshop. Please tie your tags in a BOW, not a knot, as the bow is easier for our recipients to undo. Tags can be picked up any time the workshop is open and a template to print them, on white card stock, can be found on the Members page of our website at:
If you know of a need and can deliver any items yourself in the Richmond area, please let Lois (804) 305-4971) know what, and how many, you have delivered.
If you are in the Fredericksburg/King George area and have any items ready, please contact Pam (540) 661-7967, to arrange for pick-up or delivery. Additionally, if you deliver any items yourself in this area, please let Pam know.
Richmond and Surrounding areas have a need for:
- Baby blankets of no less than 36” along any one side. These are our primary need at the moment and there are patterns at the end of this newsletter
- Hats for babies (age 3-6 mos.) and children
6-12 years of age
- 12” cotton squares to be used as washcloths
- 8” and up acrylic squares to be sewn together
to create bags and blankets
- Soft, squishable toys.
- Memory care items
- COVID-19 items, masks, ear savers, surgical caps continue to be needed
- Size J crochet hooks
Fredericksburg/King George has a need for:
- Walker totes for men & women
- Wheelchair bags for men & women
- Lap blankets and baby items are always appreciated
Patterns for most of these items can be found on our website, https://fromtheheartstitchers.org/patterns/ but feel free to make whatever you feel like making. We greatly appreciate anything you create for From the Heart.
Click HERE for patterns for both knit and crochet baby blankets
Click HERE for a pattern (more like a recipe) for a soft stuffed bunny made from a square
Project Sizes, Supplies and Ongoing Projects
As always anything you want to make we can really use to help fill the bins in the shop and warm the hearts and bodies of those in need. Therefore, in addition to what is listed on our General Project Sizes list, we can also use anything from the list below.
- Chemo Hats for Guys and Boys
- Socks for the Homeless – prefer white, non – Wool socks. Tube socks work well (no heels to deal with!)
- Chemo Blankets/Shawls 30″ x 48″
- Blankets for Hospice/Palliative Care 27″ x 36″ (No fringe, no tie on’s if wheelchair blankets)
- Lap/Wheelchair blankets Approx. 42″ X 36″
- Baby Blankets
- 32″ to 40″ square
- Rectangles from 32″ X 30″ and up
- Children’s blankets (for clutching or draggin’) 24″ sq up to 36″ or 40″ & not necessarily square
- Bone Marrow Transplant Unit blankets Large and COLORFUL! (Just enough to cover the top of twin bed)
- Dialysis blankets: 60″ long. 30-32″ wide.
- Home Again (Battered Women and Children’s Shelter) large enough to wrap a small child in cold, drafty house
- Chemo Hats Small, medium and large sizes for both adults and children
- SPCA rounds or squares 15-18 inches up to 3 feet to fit crates using leftovers of mixed yarn, wool, blends, cotton or acrylics
- Squares 12 inches to be stitched together into blankets
- Infant Hats, Must be stretchy. Full term newborn needs to fit over a 5″ Styrofoam ball.
- Layette Sets Used as “take me home” outfits for newborns.
- Bears and Toys: New bears from Dollar stores, dressed with knitted or crocheted outfits. Given to sick, scared or needy children in ER, clinic, oncology, hospice and other areas.
- Items for use in Memory Care Units. Go to our Pattern Page and then click on either Knitted or Crocheted Patterns and, then, “Comfort Items” under the Knitted or Crocheted Patterns list.